Saturday, March 11, 2017

TAWG

Right now I'm reading a great devotional called "Pearls of Great Price" by Joni Eareckson Tada and last week she talked about a statue at John Hopkins that is a statue of Christ. Her story included sitting at Jesus' feet both literally and figuratively and challenged readers to do just that. I read this on a morning when I had a very limited amount of time before work and then a packed day ahead of me and my first thought was 'how am I going to find time to sit at Jesus' feet and rest in his presence on a day like today?'

But that's the thing about our God, He always provides a way.

I have a dog and every morning one of the first things I do is take her for a walk. Normally while we walk I take time to pray for different people in my life but on this day I set that aside for a while to just take a walk with Jesus.

As weird as it sounds I mean what I said. I imagined that the Savior was walking beside me and I talked to Him about my day, about what was going on and I took some time to just ask for strength to get through it.

At the end of the week my friend and I went out for the morning and as I shared this experience with her she told me about when she was involved with Campus Crusade (now called CRU) at college and their emphasis on TAWG- Time Alone With God. They encouraged their students to spend one hour a week, sometime during the week, to just spend time with God, not doing anything else.

That's when it hit me, whether it's an hour or ten minutes while you walk the dog, five minutes in the shower or that thirty seconds you have between strapping your kid in the car seat and getting in the car yourself, take some time with God.

It doesn't matter if you just say, God help me today, or have a whole conversation, just open up that door of communication with the Lord and listen to what He has to say each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Lunatic or Lord

Around this time of year, in churches all around the world, people are presented with a question. The same question that has been presented ...