Saturday, March 4, 2017

Thoughts From a Busy Week

It's been a very busy week around here, with lots of work, tons of writing and sickness sneaking in to disrupt life I haven't had a lot of time to think about what I was going to post this week. Then I spent half the day out with a friend running errands and I forgot about even posting until just a little while ago. In fact I was just finishing the dishes and thinking/praying about what to post when I looked down at the sink and noticed that one side of it wasn't draining.

See we have a double sink in our kitchen and sometimes when one side is plugged or already draining the other side won't drain as quickly because of how the pipes are set up. Don't ask me to explain the details, I have no idea how it works. But what occurred to me is that if you look at the right side and say 'hmm... that's not draining' and then you try to fix it on that side it won't do you any good because the problem isn't on that side, it's on the left side of the sink.

Let me put this another way. Say I wake up one morning and wrist is hurting. I may do exercises, try stretching it or try rubbing my wrist but the pain won't go away. I have two choices, I can either keep trying what I'm already doing that's obviously not working or I can look for another cause of the pain instead of just trying to fix the symptom. This search may lead me up to my shoulder or neck where a knot has formed that's causing the pain to travel down to my wrist. Rub out the knot and the pain goes away.

So what's the point of these examples?

It's simple, sometimes things aren't as they seem.

That girl at school who always seems mad at you? Maybe it's not you she's mad at, maybe she's having a hard time at home and she tries to stay angry to keep from crying.

Your friend who yells at you for no reason one day? Maybe they just had something terrible happen and they don't mean to take it out on you but they're so shook up they don't know how to react.

A parent gets overly angry because you didn't take the garbage out? Well what else has gone on in their day to make them so upset?

Or here's one, you feel distant from God and you wonder why He's not listening? Maybe it's not Him who's distant, maybe it's you. Try going back to your Bible and doing some listening yourself.

Anyways that's my thought for the day. Take it, leave it, or look outside the box and come up with your own thoughts. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Lunatic or Lord

Around this time of year, in churches all around the world, people are presented with a question. The same question that has been presented ...