Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Simple Things

During this time of year people have different reactions to all the things that need done. There are presents to buy, Christmas cards to send out (shoot! I knew I forgot something!) decorations to put and even special music to put on. Every show has a Christmas theme and every corner has a Santa with a bell.
If we're honest we can admit that it can be more then a little stressful. Some people try to remind us that Jesus is the reason we celebrate Christmas and they're right. In my mind forgetting that or celebrating for some other reason is like attending a child's birthday party but leaving without even acknowledging the kid. But that's not my point. As I was saying this time of year can be stressful, there's no getting around that. But there's also a flip side to that.
When are families start coming into town our first reaction is to start listing all the things we need to do. Instead of enjoying the time we spend making pies we're studying the recipes and reviewing our lists.
When we're children we have as much fun playing with the boxes as the toys. We take as much pleasure in spending time with our favorite uncle as eating popcorn and summer sausage for dinner. Yet somewhere along the road we forget how important those things are. And I for one am tired of letting stress take over my holiday!
This year I'm going to cherish the feeling of my little niece curled up next to me with her new teddy bear as I take in the beautiful decorations and lights strung around my apartment. I'm going to have more fun watching my family open their gifts, however small or large, and stop worrying about my bank account. I'm going to put the Christmas music on and have a dance party without worrying about who's watching and I'm going to focus on the One who's birth is the whole point of the season.

So how are you going to take back Christmas this year?

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kattarin. How is the writing going. Maybe you can pop over to facebook and give me an update. Any luck getting published?
    Fun to read your stuff here. (Cara Grandle from last summer's writer's conference)

    ReplyDelete

Liar, Lunatic or Lord

Around this time of year, in churches all around the world, people are presented with a question. The same question that has been presented ...