Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Day

Well bloggers, we made it, it's finally Thanksgiving Day! I don't know what your day was like but hopefully it was fantastic. Some of you don't celebrate it I'm sure, I know it's an American holiday, but even if your not from here then I hope you found a reason to be thankful.
Growing up we had some fun traditions, one was we said something we were thankful for, every single person had to say one thing. It's not hard, actually the more I think about it the more things I think of that I have to be thankful for but there was always something special about hearing everyone say "I'm thankful for..."
Another thing we did was we sang "The Doxology", since a lot of you probably don't what that is let me just write down the lyrics. We only sang one verse so it's not very long.

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow,
Praise Him all ye creatures here below,
Praise Him all ye heavenly host,
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Amen."

One of my cousins in particular made me laugh because every year he was there we would finish singing and he would say "I've never heard that before." And every time I would laugh and tell him he had said the same thing the year before but he never seemed to remember that.

This year was different, I couldn't go home for Thanksgiving because I worked this morning. So instead some good friends offered to have me over for dinner at their place. They're like another set of parents to me and I was really excited about heading out. It turned out to be a little hectic, I got off work late and just ran home to change really quick, I should've been in and out in five minutes but on my way out the door I realized that I didn't have my cell phone. It took me another five minutes to search everywhere only to figure out I'd left it at work.

Jump back in the car head back to work, get my phone because it had my GPS and I don't want to get lost, run back up towards home in order to get to the right road but of course I miss my turn and have to turn into my parking lot to turn around and get back on the right road.

So finally I'm headed out, doing good, and would you believe it? My troubles don't end there, I end up trying to pull over to let a car go by and car slides off the edge of the road. Not all the way over, praise the Lord, but my two right tires, of course I don't have four wheel drive so now I'm stuck. After the initial panic thinking that my car was going to flip, I managed to calm down enough to climb out of the car. By this time someone had pulled over and... long story short, a family came along who were able to pull me out. It was only after I got back on the road that I remembered I had AAA. That would've been helpful before I sat on the road for 30 minutes. Oh well!

In the end I made it to dinner, late, but there, and was welcomed with open arms. The wonderful family helped me calm down, laugh and realize that the situation really wasn't as bad as I first thought. All in all I realized that even though I couldn't be with my family on this holiday and things didn't go like I planned I had people who loved and let me join their family for the day, strangers stopped to help me and things really weren't bad, just a little strange.

Maybe it wasn't a perfect Thanksgiving but it was definitely a memorable one. What about yours? Even if you weren't celebrating the holiday I hope you all had a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Lunatic or Lord

Around this time of year, in churches all around the world, people are presented with a question. The same question that has been presented ...