Sunday, June 28, 2020

Craftsmen

I know last week was Father's Day. And I didn't forget. I didn't post about it because last week's post was something really on my heart that I didn't want to delay in sharing. Today's post was intended to be my Father's Day post of sorts. It's late because I actually did forget to finish writing it but such is life, here it is.

As I write this I'm staring at wooden wall hanging of a wolf that my great uncle made. He, like many in my family was a craftsmen. I have an extremely high regard for those creative people who take the time to hone their God-given abilities, training their hands and their eyes and cultivating their craft to bring something beautiful about. My dad is a craftsmen, as was his dad and they've passed that on to my brother and one of my cousins. Craftsmen are a rare breed. They take pride in their work, as they should, and they create things that the rest of us can admire.

My dad, like me, is a big fan of C.S. Lewis. Recently he forwarded one of C.S. Lewis' letters about craftsmanship to me. Actually it's a letter from C.S. Lewis to his dad. Let me share an excerpt with you. 

"One feels the people behind them more: the nameless craftsmen in this or that gargoyle which is different from every other."

I love this line so much. Craftsmen are one amazing example of God's creativity. Just as God shapes and loving creates each one of us to be unique and beautiful, craftsmen work tirelessly to manipulate their medium until they get the right angle and the exact edge. They refine their craft and don't stop working until their satisfied with the outcome. Sometimes they're the only ones who notice the subtle differences that make the project beautiful, the little things that make one gargoyle different from the others.

It's a labor of love for these unique people. I've watched my dad work on countless projects. He'll spend hours pouring over the designs, tweaking this here or changing that there. Sometimes he gets frustrated and scraps the whole thing then starts over. Eventually he goes to work, selecting the right wood and making sure he has the right tools. He designs each piece, taking the time to get them right before he assembles them. 

These projects can take huge amounts of time but when he's done he's left with something to be proud of. Recently I realized that his dedication to his craft is a lot like his parenting method. He took the time to teach us each lessons. He spent time with us, shaping us and molding us. Disciplining us when necessary and loving us always. Those countless hours and lessons shaped us into the adults we are today and, like in his wood work, I'm happy to say we've all become people he is proud of.

As God blesses craftsmen with their skills and shapes people into unique creations He gives parents a special responsibility to train up and raise their children. It's not an easy task. And like with working a craft it's a labor of love but done well the finished project will be the best thing you've ever done.

Thanks Dad for being a craftsmen with more then just wood and teaching us all the important things about life and loving the Lord. Happy Father's Day (again). I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Lunatic or Lord

Around this time of year, in churches all around the world, people are presented with a question. The same question that has been presented ...