Saturday, April 6, 2019

Other People

A while back I was talking to my roommates. In one of my more neurotic moments I told them that I was concerned that I was too dependent on other people. Thankfully the girls are used to me saying things that don't always make sense and they didn't laugh outright. Instead they reminded me of a very important truth. We are created for fellowship, with God and with others.

See it's not like I rely on other people to do everything for me. As Kimberly pointed out- "You don't follow me around like a little lost puppy going 'Kimberly, am I pretty?'"

I'm pretty independent. I do things for myself and I don't constantly try to find my value in others. But I do talk to my friends when I need advice or am having a hard time. I do call my parents and ask for advice. I do ask people for help when I need it and I do let people step in and do things for me if they've offered- like scheduling appointments when I'm overwhelmed and trying to juggle too many things. Or giving me a gift because they know that I'm having a lot going on.

For whatever reason that day (and plenty of other days if I'm honest) I got it my head that I needed to do it all by myself. The girls, gently but rightly pointed out the fallacy in that argument. As true friends often do they pointed out that I was letting the devil manipulate my thoughts to make me feel guilty for something that wasn't wrong.

Yes, our ultimate dependence should always be on God. He should be the one we rely on for all of our needs but God has blessed us with the gift of friends and family and He doesn't expect us to do it all on our own.

Galatians 6:2 "Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Lunatic or Lord

Around this time of year, in churches all around the world, people are presented with a question. The same question that has been presented ...