Saturday, April 22, 2017

Thinking Computers

I sit down at my (finally clean) desk, turn my laptop on and finish my morning devotional. Seeing as it's Friday I realize I need to check the weather forecast to see if it would be a good weekend to go hiking with friends. So, smiling at the picture that has been loaded onto my lock screen, I type in my password and enter "weather forecast" into the search bar.

And the computer responds "Thinking"

...

What exactly is my computer thinking about? I somehow doubt it's the beautiful green forest scene that's the current background, or how the accent color changes every time the picture does. Is it thinking that I look strange, leaning back in my chair? Maybe it's wondering why I haven't turned on a light, unaware of the headache that's just begging to come out and play.

Possibly it's using the camera to study my surroundings, wondering at the girl that owns it and works hard away- typing out her blog, stories, emails, and lists for whatever events are coming up. As it looks around I wonder what it sees-
Dirty clothes in a pile because I left the laundry basket by the washing machine, a towel hanging on the Nordic Trek exercise machine because I don't use it as often as I should. Pictures galore hanging on the wall from a few of the different kids in my life. Verses and quotes written on note cards to remind me daily of what's important. Pink flowers on the calendar hung up to try to keep my life on track. A stack of books on the blanket chest because my bookshelf is full. And a fan set up to keep the room from getting too hot.

Or maybe it's wondering about the strange look on my face and trying to decide why I immediately open up this blog to write a post on the computer about what that same computer is thinking. (Because that's not strange or ironic at all.)

Perhaps my lovely laptop is planning some evil takeover, calling out to other computers so they can all crash at the same time, causing massive panic and chaos to spread through the world and allowing the computer's friends- the evil robots to come in and take over! Or maybe I shouldn't have watched "I, Robot" way back when.

Whatever the computer is or isn't thinking I'm glad that it works, what would I do without you computer?

Hey, maybe that's what it's thinking.

1 comment:

Liar, Lunatic or Lord

Around this time of year, in churches all around the world, people are presented with a question. The same question that has been presented ...