Friday, February 14, 2014

In Honor of Valentine's Day

Well it's that time of year again and all over couples are celebrating that special day know as Valentine's. Maybe it's breakfast in bed, surprise roses left on the counter, a heartshaped doughnut by your bed or a special little gift you've been wanting that finally appears... but in the end what matters is the message, that someone loves you.
So in honor of Valentine's Day and because I love all of you and the support that you give me how about a sample of a different book? This is an excerpt from what I call The Anddreasin's. A story that revolves a lot around family and more then a little around love, enjoy!


“Alex! I didn’t expect to see you today.” Diana stood on tiptoe to kiss his cheek then hugged him tightly. “What are you doing here?”

He smiled at his mother and thought how beautiful she was, Diana had raised all three of her children by herself with only the help of her loyal household staff. She’d given them everyone thing they could ever need and even sent them to the best colleges in the country.

“I came to see you, why else would I be home on the weekend?” He asked easily as he followed her through the house and into the library and sank down into a comfortable chair across from her on the love seat.

“Exactly what I was about to ask,” she replied with an easy going smile. Her two sons were in their freshman year of college while their sister was in her senior year of high school. She studied her oldest and waited for him to tell her what was going on.

He was tall and good looking, dark hair with a hint of olive in his skin. His eyes were a startling shade of light blue that only made him more attractive. With his twin brother around the two were unstoppable, add their sister in the mix and there was nothing the trio couldn’t accomplish. She watched as he seemed to consider his words carefully.

“Alex you’re going to have to tell me eventually why you’re here,” she finally said amused when he glanced up in surprise.

He flashed her a smile, “Sorry Mom I was thinking about something else. Actually I had nothing to do this weekend and I just thought I’d come back and hang out with you and Jules. Will’s coming home too by the way.”

She tilted her head gracefully in a gesture of surprise, “Lovely I’ll tell Cara to make sure your rooms are ready. Assuming that you are planning to stay here this weekend and not somewhere else,” she let the statement hang in the air as her son looked up guiltily. His cell phone rang and the relief in his expression was so obvious she had to consciously remind herself not to laugh.

“Excuse me Mom I’ll be right back,” he slipped out of the room as he answered the call and she shook her head. Cara the housekeeper who had been with her for years walked into the room.

“Should I get the rooms ready for Alex and Will Miss Diana?” The other woman looked up at her trusted friend and smiled. She’d tried for years to get Cara to drop the Miss and just call her Diana but to no avail. Still she was like family and had helped raise all three of the kids, she was also Diana’s best friend there was no one she trusted more.

“I wish I knew Cara, but so far my son hasn’t answered me. As soon as he does I’ll let you know, I’m just not sure that they’re staying.”

To Cara’s credit she didn’t say anything with a smile she walked out of the room. Diana glanced at the clock, Anya would be home soon from school. She crossed over to the desk and opened her laptop, the calendar popped up reminding her that she had a dinner party at the home of an old family friend who was now a senator.


She glanced at the alarm panel in the corner of the screen and saw her daughter’s black Mustang convertible pull up the drive. She saw the girl jump out of the car and run towards the front door where her brother must be waiting. Diana closed the laptop and went to greet her daughter.
*
Sophia Sanchez took a moment to lean against the counter and breathe; the Sea Castle, where she worked as a waitress was extremely busy tonight. She glanced up at the clock and noted that she only had an hour left of her shift. Pushing back off the counter she turned as another order came up. Grabbing the plates she pasted a smile on and went to deliver the couple their food.
As she came around the corner she spotted a well-known customer smile and wave her over, smiling back she gestured that she’d be right there. She dropped the food off then made her way over to the table,
“Mister and Missus Finch, how are you this evening?”
“Sophia, it’s so good to see you again dear,” Mrs. Finch replied grasping her hand and standing to kiss her cheek. The couple had known her since she was a child at the local community center they ran, and they were still some of her favorite people.
The chatted for a few minutes then Mr. Finch glanced up in surprise, “Dear isn’t that Julia Anddreasin and one of her brothers?”
That got Sophia’s attention making an excuse she quickly excused herself to get back to work almost cursing when the two young people were seated in her section. The Anddreasin’s were the best-known family in all of Durston they were also a family that she tried to avoid, people like them had been given everything and reminded her of how much she had to work for anything. They were nice enough on the surface but they were also the kind of people she did her best to avoid.
Slipping outside for a breath of air she gazed up at the stars as her mother’s voice rang through her head.
‘Sophia, you are a Sanchez we work for what we have but we never let anyone look down on us you understand? Never, take pride in who you are child because it is who the Lord created you to be.’
That had been after she’d come home crying because one of the girls at the private school she was attending on scholarship had made fun of her. Her mother had dried her tears given her the familiar lecture then left for work. It was the last time Sophia had cried because of what someone else said about her.
Shaking off the familiar feeling of dread at having to go in and deal with the family she turned resolutely to walk back inside and ran straight into a tall man who was hanging up his cell phone. The phone fell and she gasped as strong arms captured her shoulders and straightened her quickly.
“I’m so sorry sir,” she apologized quickly.
“No it was my fault miss, are you all right?” It was the voice that got her attention she looked up and found herself staring into the light blue eyes of one of the Anddreasin twins. She felt herself pale and stepped away quickly.
“It was my fault and I’m fine,” she bent down to retrieve his phone just as he did and their heads collided. She straightened as he picked up his phone, rubbing his head.
“Again I’m so sorry I should’ve been paying more attention.” His apology stopped as he gazed at her for a long moment. She shifted uncomfortably, preparing to make her excuses and move on. “Do I know you from somewhere?” He asked before she had the chance to get away.
Memories from her year at the academy flashed through her head, she’d been in the same grade as Will and Alex even shared a couple of classes with them but had never talked to them. She shook her head and offered an apologetic smile even as her heart raced and she prayed that he would believe her lie.
“No I don’t think so, if you’ll excuse me I need to get back to work.”
“Of course,” he held the door for her and she slipped inside racing to the kitchen before anyone noticed that she’d been gone.
“Sophia are you all right?” Her friend and manager, Andrea, asked as she took in the girl’s flushed expression and how she jumped at the question.
“Yeah I’m fine,” she gave her a smile then grabbed some plates and walked out of the kitchen. Andrea was still staring at her. “Seriously I just ran into someone I used to know and it caught me off guard that’s all.”
“Well your shift is almost done so stay with me for a little while longer okay?” With that Sophia went to deliver the food. After she dropped it off she took a deep breath and went to the Anddreasin’s table to take their order.
“Hello again, how’s the head?” She had to smile at the question, even as she felt the heat creep up her neck.
“Its fine are you all right?”
“Fine thanks,” he turned to his siblings. “This is the girl that I ran into outside when I took that phone call.”
“Oh are you all right?” Anya asked immediately the concern evident in her face.
“Yeah Alex has a hard head,” his brother put in.
Sophia just smiled, “I’m fine thanks for asking. I’m Sophia and I’ll be your waitress so can I take your order?”
They gave her their order then she took their menus and walked away. Alex turned back to his siblings, “Do either of you recognize her. She looks so familiar but when I asked her if I knew her she said no.”
Both of them thought about it for a long moment, Anya shook her head. “I’m not sure sorry Alex but I don’t know.”
“You’re right,” Will said. “I think I do know her. Sophia,” he thought about it for a long moment trying to remember. “Sophia Sanchez we went to the Academy with her I think our Freshman year.”
Alex glanced up in surprise, “You’re right we did didn’t we? I wonder why she didn’t say anything when I asked her about it.”
“Maybe she didn’t remember you,” Anya offered with a smile.
“What not remember us?” Will cut in laughing at his sister, “You’ve got to be kidding Jules, don’t you know we’re unforgettable”
She just smiled and took a sip of her drink without bothering to reply. They fell into easy conversation talking and joking like they always had. Conversation was easy but Alex couldn’t get his mind off the conversation with Sophia. What was it about her?
*
Finally off shift twenty minutes late Sophia clocked out and walked outside to start the walk home. Just as she was walking out the Anddreasin siblings were headed out to the car.
“Sophia!” She turned in surprise then regretted the decision immediately. All three of them were headed towards her.
“Can I help you?” She asked kindly trying not to notice the hurt that flittered across Anya’s face at the cool words.
“Lincoln Academy, freshman year; we had several classes together.” Alex replied watching her face carefully for any indication of emotion.
“Excuse me?”
“That’s where I know you from,” he replied then nodded back towards his car. “Do you need  a ride home?”
Reeling from shock that he actually remembered her she shook her head, “No thanks it’s not far and I enjoy the walk.”
He hesitated obviously not wanting to accept the answer, but not sure what to say.
“Please just let us give you a ride Sophia. My brothers really want to help and they’re going to end up following you to make sure that you’re okay if you don’t let them.” Anya threw in.
Sophia hesitated but realized the girl was right, “Okay, thanks I appreciate it. Normally I have my car but my brother needed to borrow it today.”
“We don’t mind,” Will replied with a smile.
“The car’s this way.” She followed them towards the BMW that her brother would’ve killed for. Opening the door Anya climbed in the backseat with Will. Alex held the door while Sophia climbed in then rounded the hood and slipped into the driver’s seat.
“Where to Sophia,” she gave him the directions to the house and prayed that her family wasn’t home. If they saw her pull up in a car like that, she could already hear the lectures she would have to listen to.
“So Sophia, did you only go to the Academy freshman year?” Anya asked from the back seat, she set her purse and jacket beside her then turned to answer the girl’s question.
When the car pulled up in front of the house a few minutes later she was startled when Alex walked around to open the door for her then held out a hand to help her out. She climbed out of the car expecting him to leave her there.
“Thanks for the ride, I appreciate it.”
“Anytime, I’ll walk you to the door,” he added. She looked like she wanted to argue, “My mother always told us that every girl deserves respect. She would never forgive me if I just left you here without making sure you got in okay.”
“Fair enough,” she finally said as they started up towards the small house she shared with her grandmother, mom, brother and cousin.
“Why did you say we didn’t know each other when I asked,” she paused at the unexpected question. The door flew open before she had a chance to answer.
“Sophia,” her brother Ben, was standing there and he didn’t look happy.
“Ben this is Alex, he and his siblings gave me a ride home from the restaurant since I didn’t have my car tonight.”
“Alex Anddreasin nice to meet you, “he held out his hand. Ben shook it but his expression hadn’t changed.
“I know who you are, I’m Ben Sanchez. Sophia you should get inside Mom got called in back to work and Zeke will be home soon.”
“I’ll be right there,” she replied. He nodded but didn’t go back inside.
“Thanks again for the ride Alex, I need to get going but tell Anya and Will thanks too.” Sophia replied and walked quickly inside.
“Stay away from my sister; we don’t need your charity Anddreasin.” The warning was spoken in a low voice but the message came across loud and clear.
“I’m not giving anyone charity it was just a ride because she didn’t have a car that’s it.” He nodded back towards the BMW, “I need to get back to my siblings, have a good night.”
The other man didn’t reply but he heard the door slam as he walked back to the car. He climbed in the driver’s seat as his brother moved to the front. “What was that all about?” Will demanded as his brother turned the car on.
Alex glanced back at their sister in the back seat then offered a smile he didn’t feel, “Nothing that was just Sophia’s brother wanting to make sure she was okay. So are you guys ready to go sailing?”
Will subsided and Anya grinned, “Of course, let’s go!”
Alex smiled back as they pulled out of the drive but his mind was still on Sophia. All of his life everything had come easy to him but even though it was obvious that the girl wanted nothing to do with him he couldn’t get his mind off of her.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Lunatic or Lord

Around this time of year, in churches all around the world, people are presented with a question. The same question that has been presented ...